Computing Center of SAS

Description

SAS was founded on April 4, 1976 by a decree of SAS board of directors and with the original name Central Computing Centre of SAS. SAS was using computers since 1959; the first analog computer was build at the Institute of Technical Cybernetics. The era of digital computers started some five years later. SAS Institutes were first using ZRA -1 (1962 - 1968, . KrlZeiss Jena) and GIER (1968 - 1976 REGNECENTRALEN, Copenhagen) computers located in the cybernetics institute. Due to increased demand for computing resources, researchers started using also external computers CDC 3300 (VVS OSN, now INFOSTAT) and SIEMENS 4004 (ÚVTVŠ in Mlynská dolina). A liaison workplace was created in 1973 as part of the Cybernetics Institute to promote the usage of computers, which was staffed by 52 SAS programmers. The project to build a Central Computing Centre of SAS began. The project to build a new building for the computing centre of SAS started in 1976 and in 1979 the building was already equipped SM computers. The building was designed for two mainframe computers of the type EC 1045, which were installed in 1982.

Email
vssav@savba.sk
Postal Address

Dubravska cesta 9
811 02 Bratislava
Slovakia

Country
GPS Coordinates

Address

Dubravska cesta 9
811 02 Bratislava
Slovakia

( 48.174460262806, 17.069396823516 )